New York. I've been dreaming of this day since my 18th birthday when I visited the city with my drama teacher and classmates. I fell in love with the buzz and the beautiful union of different cultures and vowed that I would one day live here.
And here I am.
That first night, (let's be real, it was last night not some mystical faraway night I've completely recovered from) exhausted from a gruelling red-eye with a two year old, I wondered what kind of substance I was smoking when we put NYC as our first choice.
I kind of hated myself for even thinking that, but seriously, I know many other people who have wondered the same thing about us, but we did it anyway. We were excited. Nervous, but excited. And there's no turning back now.
It is hot here. Not near as hot as Grenada but it's a kind of sticky hot I've missed in Utah. We have to really debate if it's worth it to fork out the money to buy an AC unit just to use it for maybe a month or two. Right now, I'm thinking it just might be as I sit cross legged and my leg pits collect pools of sweat.
Along with no AC unit, we also don't have a couch. My parent's gifted us an amazing leather couch that I was so excited to put in our apartment. Sure, it was old, but it was in great shape and had an awesome classic feel to it. Tragically, it wouldn't fit through our door way by just ONE INCH(!) so we had to dispose of it (don't worry, we were able to find some friends in Jersey to take it for us) but alas! We don't have a couch and will probably have to wait until next term to even consider getting one that will fit. And let me tell you, I've had many a moment already where a good sprawl out unladylike on the couch has been called for. BUT! We have beds! Oh am I so glad that we have beds. We didn't even think that would happen!
Today was a better day. Kind of awful, but kind of great. One of those days where it's nothing but an oxymoron just to exist, but maybe not because it was mostly great. We went to Ikea to get some little things for our apartment, made some unwise choices in our walking route, admired the Lower Manhattan skyline from Red Hook, carried our weight in Ikea junk, had Mr B almost run away from me while I was stuck trying to make it through the gates at the subway station, and made it safely home. Although I felt so lost and like I still have so much to learn, I think I found myself undergoing a little initiation into the NYC Mom Club when Mr B fell asleep on the train ride home, soothed by the buzzing and swaying of the train. Isn't that what's supposed to happen?
I can already tell New York is going to be great. We just have to stay positive, focus on the amazing things that are around us like: ice cream store right next door to our building, subway a block away, the fact that it's NYC, our pretty spacious 2 bedroom apartment, a well behaved Scout, the wonderment in Mr B's eyes, catching Mr B eating his cereal under the blinds and on the windowsill just so he could look outside while eating, food delivery services, a grocery store that is closer to us than parking in a parking lot would be, amazing people who have reached out to us and helped us, time with Adam, the fact that we're only 1.5 miles away from the hospital, delicious pizza made by someone with an Italian accent, old wood floors that I could swoon all day over, and beds! Did I mention we have beds?
I shall update with more pictures in the coming days, but for now, just enjoy our view at Ikea and a picture of Scout sprawled on the swoonable wood floors dying of heat just like the rest of us. Dogs are people too you know.
No comments:
Post a Comment