Thursday, July 17, 2014

Simple And Good

Today, after I ran some headphones over to Adam at the school, Mr. B and I stopped at a little place called Options to get a smoothie. It's basically a bunch of different restaurants set up in a cluster of shacks off the main road to campus, but there is a pretty great smoothie place that is almost always open. It was like a pot of stew on the island today and that sun was blazing hot. We needed to cool off somehow and that AC bill can be a witch with a B if we let it run too much. I can always justify a smoothie since it's just fruit, ice and water, right? RIGHT? (This is where you nod and agree with me.) Ever since my friend introduced me to the mango/guava smoothies I've been pretty obsessed and though I vow to try a different flavor the next time I get one, I just can't help myself and go for the good stuff. Such was the case this time. After waiting an absurd amount of time in the sun for a single smoothie when we were the only customers there, we found a picnic bench with an umbrella stretching it's shade along some gravel by the side of the road. I sat down on the bench and Mr. B climbed up too and nestled in close. With his legs swinging beneath him and his little hands grasping the cold cup that seemed to be almost half his size, pursing his little lips, drinking all that he could, I couldn't help but pause the moment in my mind and just wish I could freeze time. These days are a dream. I never thought I would be this mom of this wonderful boy and I just thank God everyday I get the chance to have these moments.
We took turns taking cold sips from the straw and doing our best to cool off. Mr B sometimes would take the straw out and try to suck the remaining smoothie from the other end, causing some of the contents to spill down his shirt. I didn't fight it, I just smiled and enjoyed. When he was done he let himself off the bench and commenced to pick up little rocks and throw them as far as they would go, counting first "unn, teeewwooo" and letting go in a quick motion with a shake of his head and a little release of air. With no camera, I mentally noted the moment and kept the words close to write about later. When it was time to leave, I scooped him up, gave his delicious cheek a kiss and walked him to the car. We ended the trip with him begging to play in the driver's seat by pleading for the "teys" and making the rolling sound with his tongue that means "car". With eyes wide, I buckled him in and we headed home, both happy and slightly cooler than when we had arrived. Life is good. Simple. And good.

No comments:

Post a Comment